Adverb Clauses in English Grammar Definition, Examples, Exercises Pronunciation Audio

 Definition,

An adverb clause is a clause that functions as an adverb in a sentence. An adverb clause is a group of words that includes a subject and a verb, and it modifies the verb in the main clause of the sentence. Adverb clauses are also called subordinate clauses because they cannot stand alone as a complete sentence. 

They are introduced by a subordinating conjunction, such as "after," "although," "because," "if," "since," "when," and "while."

Examples of adverb clauses:

  1. After he finished his homework, he watched TV.
  2. Although it was raining, we went on a hike.
  3. Because I was tired, I went to bed early.
  4. If you see Jane, tell her I said hello.
  5. Since I left my umbrella at home, I got wet.
  6. When the bell rings, class will start.

Practical uses:

  • Adverb clauses are used to provide additional information about the verb in the main clause of a sentence.
  • They can be used to indicate time, reason, condition, concession, or purpose.

Examples:

  • I will call you when I get home. (indicates time)
  • I will lend you the money because I want to help. (indicates reason)
  • If you are hungry, there are snacks in the kitchen. (indicates condition)
  • Although I am busy, I will try to help. (indicates concession)
  • She is studying hard so that she can get good grades. (indicates purpose)

Special cases:

  • Adverb clauses can be placed at the beginning or end of a sentence.
  • When an adverb clause is placed at the beginning of a sentence, it is followed by a comma.

Examples:

  • Although it was raining, we went on a hike.
  • When the bell rings, class will start.

Exercises Adverb Clauses:

 

  1. Identify the adverb clause in the following sentence: "After he finished his homework, he watched TV."
  2. Identify the adverb clause in the following sentence: "Because I was tired, I went to bed early."
  3. Rewrite the following sentence using an adverb clause at the beginning: "I will call you when I get home."
  4. Rewrite the following sentence using an adverb clause at the end: "She is studying hard so that she can get good grades."
  5. Rewrite the following sentence using an adverb clause at the beginning: "Although I am busy, I will try to help."

 

 Answers to the exercises:

  1. The adverb clause in the following sentence is: "After he finished his homework."
  2. The adverb clause in the following sentence is: "Because I was tired."
  3. "When I get home, I will call you."
  4. "She is studying hard to get good grades."
  5. "Although I am busy, I will try to help."

 

Newer Older
Join the conversation (0)
Post a Comment
comment url