Irregular plural nouns in English Language

Irregular plural nouns: nouns that do not follow the usual rules for forming plurals. 

In English, most nouns form the plural by adding "s" or "es" to the end of the singular form. However, there are some nouns that have irregular plurals, which means that they do not follow this rule and have a special plural form.

 

Examples of Irregular plural nouns:

  • child (singular) - children (plural)
  • foot (singular) - feet (plural)
  • mouse (singular) - mice (plural)
  • goose (singular) - geese (plural)
  • tooth (singular) - teeth (plural)

 

Practical uses Irregular plural nouns:

  1. Irregular plural nouns are used to indicate the quantity of a person, place, thing, or idea. Example: I have one child. (singular) Example: I have two children. (plural)

  2. Irregular plural nouns can also be used to show possession or ownership. Example: The child's toy (singular) Example: The children's toys (plural)

Special cases Irregular plural nouns:

  1. Some nouns have the same form in both the singular and plural. These are known as "uncountable" or "mass" nouns. Example: rice (singular and plural) Example: water (singular and plural)

  2. Some nouns have the same form in both the singular and plural, but they can also have a plural form that is used for emphasis or clarity. Example: deer (singular) - deer (plural) or deers (plural for emphasis) Example: fish (singular) - fish (plural) or fishes (plural for emphasis)

 

Comprehension exercises Irregular plural nouns:

  1. Choose the correct irregular plural noun to complete the sentence: "I saw two _____ in the park." a. mouse b. mouses c. mice 

     

    Answer: c. mice

  2. Choose the correct irregular plural noun to complete the sentence: "I have a toothache because I have a cavity in one of my _____." a. tooth b. teeth c. tooths 

     

    Answer: b. teeth

  3. Choose the correct irregular plural noun to complete the sentence: "I have a headache because I stayed up late studying for my _____." a. foot b. feet c. foots 

     

    Answer: a. foot

  4. Complete the missing part: "I have a sore throat because I have a cold. I also have a runny _____." a. nose b. noses c. nosen 

     

    Answer: a. nose

  5. Choose the correct irregular plural noun to complete the sentence: "I went to the pet store and saw two _____ in the reptile section." a. geese b. geeses c. geese's 

     

    Answer: a. geese

Newer Older
Join the conversation (0)
Post a Comment
comment url