Moods of the verb Grammar Lesson: Examples, Audio, Tests

Moods of verbs in English

 

The mood of a verb expresses the attitude or feelings of the speaker towards the action being described. There are three main moods in English: the indicative mood, the imperative mood, and the subjunctive mood.

  • Indicative mood: expresses a fact or reality. Example: I am hungry.
  • Imperative mood: expresses a command or request. Example: Please bring me a sandwich.
  • Subjunctive mood: expresses a possibility, a doubt, a wish, or a condition that is contrary to fact. Example: If I were you, I would bring a sandwich.

 

 

Practical uses of verb moods:

  • The indicative mood is used to make statements or ask questions that can be answered with a simple "yes" or "no." Example: Are you hungry? (Yes/No)
  • The imperative mood is used to give commands or make requests. Example: Bring me a sandwich.
  • The subjunctive mood is used to express a hypothetical or contrary-to-fact condition. Example: If I were rich, I would buy a house.

 

 

Special cases Moods of the verb :

  • The subjunctive mood is often used in clauses that begin with "if" or "that," especially when expressing a doubt, a wish, or a condition that is contrary to fact. Example: If I were rich, I would buy a house.
  • The subjunctive mood is also used to express a request or a suggestion. Example: I suggest that he bring a sandwich.

 

Comprehension exercises Moods of the verb:

  1. Identify the mood of the verb in the following sentence: I am hungry. 

     

    Answer: indicative mood

  2. Choose the correct verb form to complete the sentence: _____ bring me a sandwich. a. Please (imperative mood) b. He brings (indicative mood) c. If I were (subjunctive mood) 

     

    Answer: a. Please (imperative mood)

  3. Identify the mood of the verb in the following sentence: If I were you, I would bring a sandwich. 

     

    Answer: subjunctive mood

  4. Choose the correct verb form to complete the sentence: She _____ [verb] the report before you asked her to. a. did (indicative mood) b. do (imperative mood) c. were (subjunctive mood) 

     

    Answer: a. did (indicative mood)

  5. Complete the following sentence with the correct verb form: I _____ [verb] that he bring a sandwich. a. suggest (indicative mood) b. suggests (imperative mood) c. suggest (subjunctive mood)

     

      Answer: c. suggest (subjunctive mood)

Newer Older
Join the conversation (0)
Post a Comment
comment url