Relative adverbs in English Grammar

 Relative adverbs are adverbs that introduce relative clauses and are used to indicate the relationship between the clause and the rest of the sentence. They include "where," "when," and "why."

  1. "This is the place where I first met my spouse." - In this sentence, "where" is a relative adverb that introduces the clause "I first met my spouse" and indicates the location of the event.
  2. "He was born on the day when the storm hit." - In this sentence, "when" is a relative adverb that introduces the clause "the storm hit" and indicates the time of the event.
  3. "I don't know why he left." - In this sentence, "why" is a relative adverb that introduces the clause "he left" and indicates the reason for the action.

Special Cases:

  • "That" can also act as a relative adverb in certain cases, such as in the sentence "This is the book that I was reading."
  • "How" can also act as a relative adverb, indicating manner, as in the sentence "I don't know how he did it."

Common Mistakes:

  • Confusing relative pronouns with relative adverbs.
  • Using a relative pronoun instead of a relative adverb.

Practical Uses:

  1. To indicate location, as in "The store where I bought my shoes is closed."
  2. To indicate time, as in "I'll be there at the time when the party starts."
  3. To indicate reason, as in "I can't come to the meeting because of the reasons why I can't come."
  4. To indicate manner, as in "I'll show you how I did it."

Comprehension Exercises:

  1. Fill in the blank: The party ___ I met my wife was a lot of fun.
  2. Rewrite the following sentence correctly: "I'll be there at the time that the party starts." 
  3. Identify the relative adverb in the following sentence: "I don't know how he did it." 
  4. Rewrite the following sentence correctly: "The store that I bought my shoes is closed." 
  5. Complete the following sentence: "I can't come to the meeting because of the _____ why I can't come." 

  1.  (Answer: where)
  2. (Answer: I'll be there at the time when the party starts.)
  3. (Answer: how)
  4. (Answer: The store where I bought my shoes is closed.)
  5. (Answer: reasons)
Newer Older
Join the conversation (0)
Post a Comment
comment url