Shifts in verb tense Lesson with Examples, Comprehension exercises and Audio Pronunciation

Shifts in verb tense in English Grammar

A shift in verb tense occurs when the tense of the verb in a sentence changes from one tense to another. This can be done for a variety of reasons, such as to indicate a change in time or to create a more cohesive narrative. Here are some examples of shifts in verb tense:

  • Past tense to past perfect tense: I walked to the store, but then I realized I had forgotten my wallet.
  • Present tense to past tense: She speaks Spanish fluently, but last year she only knew a few phrases.
  • Future tense to present tense: I will eat breakfast tomorrow, but now I am not hungry.

 

Practical uses of shifts in verb tense:

  • To indicate a change in time: I will eat breakfast tomorrow, but yesterday I had already eaten lunch.
  • To create a more cohesive narrative: I walk to the store, but on my way I realize I forgot my wallet. I turn around and go back home.

Special cases Shifts in verb tense:

  • It is important to use verb tenses consistently within a sentence or paragraph. Shifts in verb tense can be confusing to the reader if they are not used correctly.
  • Some writers may choose to shift verb tenses intentionally for stylistic purposes, such as to create a sense of tension or to convey a character's emotions.

 

 

Comprehension exercises Shifts in verb tense:

  1. Identify the shift in verb tense in the following sentence: I walked to the store, but then I realized I had forgotten my wallet. 

     

    Answer: Past tense to past perfect tense

  2. Choose the correct verb form to complete the sentence: She _____ Spanish fluently, but last year she only knew a few phrases. a. speaks (present tense) b. spoke (past tense) c. will speak (future tense) 

     

    Answer: a. speaks (present tense)

  3. Identify the shift in verb tense in the following sentence: I will eat breakfast tomorrow, but now I am not hungry. 

     

    Answer: Future tense to present tense

  4. Choose the correct verb form to complete the sentence: I _____ [verb] to the store yesterday, but on my way I realized I forgot my wallet. a. went (past tense) b. go (present tense) c. will go (future tense) 

     

    Answer: a. went (past tense)

Newer Older
Join the conversation (0)
Post a Comment
comment url